Hotwire - Contempt for customers outside the US

I am livid. I live in Canada. I was looking at Hotwire rates for hotels in Montreal, Canada. The Hotwire rate were posted as $84, $102, $101...nothing to indicate that the $ were not Canadian. Only as the booking was going through did the website show that the fare was in US dollars. Oh la la. I tried to hit cancel as the transaction was being processed but it was too late.

I immediately called their help line. After a 20 minute wait, I spoke with an agent who kept saying, "Our default rates are in US dollars. You should have modified the currency." I explained that my address shows that I am in Canada, I am booking a hotel in Canada, yet Hotwire presents rates in US dollars simply didn't occur to me that the rates were not in Canadian dollars. Yes, there is a small box in the upper right corner of the screen that says "USD" - but the rates do not say "USD".

I asked to speak to a supervisor. After a 10 minute wait, the same agent came back on, and said that the supervisor had said there was nothing they could do. I was eventually able to speak to the supervisor, who said the sale was final, and that was that. Basically, it was my fault for not remembering that Hotwire is a US business.

Why does Hotwire even offer a helpline if their agents have neither the authority nor the interest in resolving problems?

There is an irony in the fact that a site dedicated to travel services is so US-centric. Internet sites do not wear flags, showing where they are based. People outside the US don't necessarily think in the same terms as Americans. If Hotwire doesn't want to show prices in local currency, it should be a simple matter f to show that the quoted prices are in US dollars. So - to everyone who lives outside the US and is looking to book outside the US - beware. Sadly, because of their refusal to try to resolve this problem, Hotwire has lost my business for all time.

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

Hotwire Hotel Reservation
Review category
Travel Agencies
review #901283 by

Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more

Had an experience with Hotwire? Submit review ›
Helpful? 0 Yes 0 0 No 0
Had the same issue 0 Yes 0
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Aug 16 #1199803 Concord, California

Their "customer service" is nothing short of disgraceful and is intentionally designed to make most people give up.

0 0 Reply

Aug 16 #1199693 Hartford City, Indiana

Call your charge card conpany. State you were paying in Canadian $ but was charged US $.
This might help.

0 0 Reply
Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.