I am livid. I live in Canada. I was looking at Hotwire rates for hotels in Montreal, Canada. The Hotwire rate were posted as $84, $102, $101...nothing to indicate that the $ were not Canadian. Only as the booking was going through did the website show that the fare was in US dollars. Oh la la. I tried to hit cancel as the transaction was being processed but it was too late.
I immediately called their help line. After a 20 minute wait, I spoke with an agent who kept saying, "Our default rates are in US dollars. You should have modified the currency." I explained that my address shows that I am in Canada, I am booking a hotel in Canada, yet Hotwire presents rates in US dollars ...it simply didn't occur to me that the rates were not in Canadian dollars. Yes, there is a small box in the upper right corner of the screen that says "USD" - but the rates do not say "USD".
I asked to speak to a supervisor. After a 10 minute wait, the same agent came back on, and said that the supervisor had said there was nothing they could do. I was eventually able to speak to the supervisor, who said the sale was final, and that was that. Basically, it was my fault for not remembering that Hotwire is a US business.
Why does Hotwire even offer a helpline if their agents have neither the authority nor the interest in resolving problems?
There is an irony in the fact that a site dedicated to travel services is so US-centric. Internet sites do not wear flags, showing where they are based. People outside the US don't necessarily think in the same terms as Americans. If Hotwire doesn't want to show prices in local currency, it should be a simple matter f to show that the quoted prices are in US dollars. So - to everyone who lives outside the US and is looking to book outside the US - beware. Sadly, because of their refusal to try to resolve this problem, Hotwire has lost my business for all time.
More Review Details
|Discounts and Special Offers|
|Number of Destinations|
|Exchange, Refund and Cancellation Policy|
|Value for money|
|Product or Service Quality|
Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more ›
You May Also Like
- "We have recently returned from a fantastic holiday at Adult Luxury Punta Cana. It was one of the best holidays we have had in our 50 years of travel .The..."
- "Stayed here for 5 days. Simply the best hotel you can find in Papagayo Gulf. The staff is always willing to help you. The food is great, with the system..."
- "I booked a hotel room for our upcoming family vacation in Cape Cod this morning through Hotwire. They represented the room as a 3 star (comparable to a Hilton..."
- "Hi I admin an Ashton Drake buy sell and showcase group on Facebook. I have over 12,000 members worldwide. I have seen several people showing their dolls, be they new..."
- "I spent good money on a can of planters deluxe mixed nut an when i open the can i find a lot of nesty green nuts all in this can..."
- "Bought a brand new generator tested it and the engine ran fine unfortunately I didn't think to check power output. When the latest storms hit my area I found the..."
- "It was a simple brake pad grind. $1,300 later I pick up my truck to drive home. 1/2 hour later I notice smoke billowing out from the rear end. I pull..."
- "Hi everyone. I thought I would quickly throw in my two cents here :) I own an online merchandise website that has been really starting to pick up on the..."
- "All of our high-end appliances in the entire home come from Trail. When one of them failed (still under manufacturer's warranty), we called Trail for repair. They sent a technician (Sergiy..."